Contact Info
Links/Resources
Site Map
Site News
Site Search

Message Forum Archives

I just visited the Grave of Daniel Morgan

Posted by Penn on July 03, 2001 at 22:58:41:

First, I wanted to say this is an excellent site and it is very well researched! Huzzah for you! Second, I was able to visit the grave of General Morgan on Sunday, July 1st, 5 days prior to the 199th anniversary of his death. We were visitng my in-laws in WV. They live only a 15 minute carride away from Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, Virginia, where we was laid to rest. On a sidenote, my husband passes, twice a day 5 days a week, the exact site where the small creekside town was located where Morgan's childhood home use to be (as many of us know, he ran away at the age of 17 to VA). So, after a year of pleading to go "find him" we were off on our search on Sunday afternoon!

He was quite simple to locate. My husband went one way and I went the other, me with my 3 yr old daughter in tow - she was just happy to be picking clover flowers and looking at all of "pretty statues". I literally walked right up to him. I knew just where to find him. It was very humbling to stand there before him in the shade of these enormous old trees and boxwoods with my oldest daughter in hand. There is a fairly large monument dedicated to him facing his gravestone and the path. In the ground was a piece of ironwork to indicate that here lied a veteran of the Revoluntionary War, as well as a small American flag, which seemed to be from Memorial Day. His gravestone was difficult to read and looked as if it had been restored, albiet poorly, many years ago.

"Major General Daniel Morgan departed this life July the 6th 1802 in the 67th year of his age. Patriotism and Valor were the Prominent Features of his Character. The honorable service which rendered to his Country during the Revolutionary War crowned him with glory. He will remain in Hearts of his Countrymen in this perpetual monument in his memory." My husband said it the best prior to our leaving. He simply said out loud to General Morgan "Thank you."

Posted by Scott on July 05, 2001 at 07:52:24:
In Reply to: I just visited... posted by Penn on July 03, 2001 at 22:58:41:

Great post. Thanks for sharing that with us for the 4th of July.

PatriotResource.com original content and design Copyright © 1999- Scott Cummings, All Rights Reserved. Privacy Statement